Organizing Your Self Storage Unit | Guard Dog Storage - San Marcos, TX
December 8, 2023
Tips on Organizing Your Self Storage Unit
Moving into your first apartment or downsizing your home can be stressful, but it’s always a good idea to rent a self storage unit for some extra space. The only thing is, if you don’t plan properly, self storage units can become cramped with boxes, bags, and furniture, making it hard to find what you need when you need it. That is why in this blog post, I will discuss how to organize your self storage unit like an expert and give tips and tricks on how to successfully maximize all space without breaking or damaging any of your things.
1. Create a Plan: Before you start loading your storage unit, create a plan on how you want to organize it. Decide which items you will store together and which ones you will place in the back, bottom, or top. Make sure you create pathways and leave enough space for boxes and other items to be moved around or accessed easily.
2. Use Shelving: Shelving is a great way to get your items off the ground and to maximize your space. You can either buy shelves or build your own with planks and cinder blocks. If you decide to buy shelves, make sure they are sturdy enough to hold your items and that they are made of quality materials that won’t rust or warp over time.
3. Stack Smartly: Stack your boxes from the floor to the ceiling, making sure that the heaviest items are placed on the bottom. This will prevent them from crushing lighter boxes and damaging your belongings. Make sure that you label all the boxes with a marker so you know what’s inside them.
4. Don’t Overfill Boxes: Overfilling boxes can cause them to bulge and break, which can damage the items inside. Pack your boxes with care, making sure that they are filled only up to their recommended weight limits and that they are properly sealed and labeled.
5. Protect Your Valuables: Valuable items such as artwork, musical instruments, or family heirlooms need special care and attention. Wrap them in bubble wrap or packing paper and place them in a separate area of the storage unit. Also, make sure that you cover your furniture with cloth or plastic covers to prevent scratches and dents.
In conclusion, organizing your self storage unit can seem like a daunting task, but if you plan ahead, use shelves, stack smartly, don’t over-fill boxes, and protect your valuables, you can make the most of the space you have and keep your things safe and secure. With these tips and tricks, you’ll be able to find anything you need in your self storage unit in no time! Plus, think about how much easier it will be next time you need to access any of your belongings.
Get started by checking out the latest Move-In Specials.
Manage Cookie Consent
The technical storage or access is strictly necessary for the legitimate purpose of enabling the use of a specific service explicitly requested by the subscriber or user, or for the sole purpose of carrying out the transmission of a communication over an electronic communications network.
The technical storage or access is necessary for the legitimate purpose of storing preferences that are not requested by the subscriber or user.
The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for statistical purposes.The technical storage or access that is used exclusively for anonymous statistical purposes. Without a subpoena, voluntary compliance on the part of your Internet Service Provider, or additional records from a third party, information stored or retrieved for this purpose alone cannot usually be used to identify you.
The technical storage or access is required to create user profiles to send advertising, or to track the user on a website or across several websites for similar marketing purposes.